Case Studies

Lots Road Power Station

Architect: Terry Farrell & Partners
Client: Hutchison Whampoa

Built in 1905 the historic Lots Road Power Station in Chelsea supplied power to London Underground up to 2001. Originally coal fired it used 700 tonnes of coal a day supplied to its own dock in Chelsea Creek off the Thames.

Aworth Survey Consultants are assisting Hutchison Whampoa with providing measured building survey drawings of the 7400m² power station, set over 3 levels and over 40m high. Floor plans, elevations and sections were produced to allow Terry Farrell and Partners to design for the transformation of the power station.

When the conversion of the historic Lots Road Power Station is complete,  it will provide over 800 residential apartments across thirteen buildings including two riverside towers (37 and 25 storeys).  The two remaining chimneys will house a public viewing gallery offering spectacular views of the Thames and London.