Client : Capital & Counties Properties PLC
With a vast Italian-style piazza the first written reference to 'the new market in Covent Garden' dates from 1654, with the main neo-classical building erected in 1830 and it remained a market until the end of the 1960s.
The central building re-opened in 1980 as a shopping centre and rapidly became one of London’s premier tourist centres, renowned for its restaurants, markets, boutiques and stores.
Aworth Survey Consultants undertook a comprehensive 1:100 scale topographical survey to record the market and surrounding roads for future asset management of the historical site.
The topographical survey was undertaken to RICS Measured Surveys of Land, Buildings and Utilities, 3rd edition.
In addition, an all-encompassing underground services survey was undertaken to BS PAS 128:2014 specification for underground utility detection, verification and location.
The topographical and underground services surveys were all undertaken at night using Leica Total Stations and Radiodetection and Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) methods.